[ale] [OT] Multifunction laser for medium-duty use

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 21:30:42 EST 2009

Brother has a series of color lasers including multifunctions (scan,
copy, print and fax) with builtin networking in your price range. Most
have duplex printing and all have Linux CUPS support. Most have
BRScript ( a rework of postscript with out the Adobe license for the
name) native.

Consumables are price tolerable especially if you get the high volume
cartridges. I have also found that the toner can be refilled a few
times before the print quality degrades. Refill kits are less than the
half the cost of a full cartridge.

Good printer, reasonable pricing, decent quality, good print quality.
I like mine.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 4:57 PM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My church is currently spending almost $300/month to rent
> a Kyocera super-industrial copier/printer with a full
> maintenance contract.  This seems excessive, considering
> we've only got about 80 members in the congregation, and
> we only use maybe 10% of this unit's functions.
>
> I volunteered to investigate purchasing a lower-end
> color multifunction laser printer that will fill the need
> nearly as well.  The heaviest use the unit will get will
> be printing the weekly service programs, which amount
> to perhaps 200 pages/week, black-and-white.  It will
> also need to print a few dozen copies of a monthly
> color newsletter. Finally, it will be called upon occasionally
> to make color or b&w copies in volumes of 20 to 500 pages.
> In total, then, we print/copy on the order of 20,000
> pages/year maximum, about 10% of which are color.
>
> So... any recommendations?  I thought we could spend
> $500 or $600 on the unit, and count on spending $400
> to $500 on supplies over the course of a year.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -- JK

James P. Kinney III