[ale] Server-hosting-ready home broadband

Matt Rideout mrideout at windserve.com
Fri Nov 13 12:49:40 EST 2009

Michael B. Trausch wrote, On 11/13/2009 12:23 PM:
> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 17:02 -0500, Matt Rideout wrote:
>
>> With the exception of domains where SSL is used (and even then, there
>> are workarounds), there is no reason that you couldn't have hundreds
>> of
>> Apache virtual hosts on a single IP. I do that routinely.
>>

> Is there a workaround that enables completely different certs on the
> same IP address?  I thought that since the HTTP/1.1 Host header was sent
> after the SSL negotiation, that wouldn't work.
>
> 	--- Mike

Traditionally it doesn't work because of the header issue you mentioned,
but there are two methods that I'm aware of:

1. Use a wildcard certificate (*.yourdomain.com). Good browser
compatability, but not a good solution in a lot of shared hosting contexts.
2. Use a Unified Communications Certificate (UCC). The only problem with
this is that browser support isn't wide spread yet.