[ale] OT: dropped the land line and going naked DSL

Brian Whigham oobx at itmonger.com
Wed May 27 20:30:24 EDT 2009

Can you try plugging the modem directly into the NID (usually a little
gray box on the side of your house)?  Leave it plugged in for an hour
or two.  If your connection stops dropping, it's something to do with
your inside wiring.

It's probably something else.  But, that's one good way to tell if
it's your problem or theirs.  The NID is the demarcation point.

Also, I presume by dropping you mean that it loses sync (blinky red
lights come on the modem's ADSL/WAN indicator).  I assume you are not
simply falling prey to a connection on demand setting or some MS
windows PPPoE client issue with the modem in bridged mode.