[ale] OT: dropped the land line and going naked DSL

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Wed May 27 18:24:34 EDT 2009

On Monday 25 May 2009 09:26:03 pm Jim Kinney wrote:
> When I changed to bare DSL I had to get a different modem. Signaling
> (sync) is slightly different. I've had no problems other than
> mechanical ones with the wire at the pole. I ran new wires from the
> demarc to the pole so phone-co would be forced to use known good
> wires.
>
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Jim Philips<philips_jim at bellsouth.net>
wrote:
> > Well, I had ATT&T cut my land line yesterday and asked to keep DSL. So
> > far, the result is that my DSL drops about every twenty minutes. Has
> > anybody else gone naked DSL with AT&T. Is this the best I can expect?
> > Their tech guy is coming today. I'm hoping he can resolve this.
> > Otherwise, I'm just moving to Comcast. Another evil corporate giant, I
> > know

Well, so far, my connection has been dropping once every twenty minutes or so.
I've made four calls to tech support and had two technicians visit. I've tried
to share what I learned on this list with the technicians and tech support
people. The tech support people don't understand anything and the technicians
just ignore what I say and monkey with the phone jacks in the house, which has
no effect whatsoever. The tech support people who answer the phones are worse
than useless (no surprise there) because they don't even attempt to use what
was tried earlier to come to some new conclusions. On Monday, supposedly, the
*real* technicians will come out and do something to the wires on the outside.
I may lose my patience before that and switch to cable. Not that I think the
Comcast people are nicer or more competent, but it seems to me--rightly or
wrongly--that getting a cable connection to work is simpler than all this stuff
the AT&T guys have been trying over the last week.