[ale] laptop advice needed

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Sat May 23 13:40:18 EDT 2009

On May 23, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Pat Regan wrote:

> Every time I buy a new laptop for myself I dig pretty hard for a deal.
> Dell is just about the only vendor that will give you a pretty good
> deal
> AND let you customize your laptop.

You know, I was hanging around the MicroCenter last night, googling on
my iPhone and looking at netbooks to convert to an Ubuntu/perl funbox
for basic hacking and carting around when I didn't want to lug the
Macbook Pro around.

I must say, those various netbooks are the shizz.  If you're not
looking for what my MBP is (a desktop replacement) and are just
wanting something to browse/mail/code with, then I can't see why
anyone would buy anything but a netbook in pc-land anymore.  (I've
been in MacLand since '04 and am hopefully waiting for my Apple tablet
for mobility).

Those Acers and MSI boxes seem to be just fine for anything Linuxy I
want to do, and the compatibility charts online for Ubuntu are
outstanding...  Just look them up and choose the appropriate model,
and you're done...  all for under 400 bucks (and usually closer to 350!)

Non-sequitur, but related to the topic at hand...

--j