[ale] windows printers

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu May 14 07:55:08 EDT 2009

You need to edit the connection method on the windows side. Printers,
properties, port, Add port, type tcp/ip and give it the new address.

Best scenario is to use the print servers that connect ethernet to
parallel or usb ports. That way the IP doesn't change.

_OR_ you can share the printer from Samba on your machine. Now it
become IP agnostic since it's name doesn't change //yourdomain/your
host/printer foo

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:32 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:
> I know this isn't supposed to be that hard, but everytime I try this, it is
> really, REALLY aggravating..
> my IP address on my Debian box changed, from 192.168.10.2 to 192.168.10.103
>
> my wife has a M$ Vista laptop (cough) and I shared my Epson R380 printer for
> her.
> her printer on the vista box is
> http://192.168.10.2:631/printers/Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
>
> I can't seem to modify that, and it is all smoke & mirrors and I forget the
> sequence I had to do, to get that box to recognize that printer..
>
> on Debian, lpstat says:
> paulandcilla:/etc# lpstat -t
> scheduler is running
> system default destination: Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
> device for Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380
> Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 accepting requests since Wed 29 Apr 2009 09:17:16 PM
> EDT
> printer Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 is idle.  enabled since Wed 29 Apr 2009
> 09:17:16 PM EDT
>
> anyone know the magic sequence on Windows to add that printer??
> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459