[ale] OT: cell phone OSes

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue May 5 20:13:31 EDT 2009

I bought an iPhone a couple of weeks ago. It runs a version of OS X.

So far, I really like it. Being an OS X user, the interface is very
natural. Being able to pair the phone with my Mac laptop, and being
able to write Cocoa applications for the device were two of my big
selling points. I like that all I have to do is connect the phone via
USB to sync new data on my phone to my PC and visa versa. I also like
that everything I'm learning about Cocoa on the desktop directly
translates to developing for the iPhone.

The downside is that the phone is tied to the iTunes App Store unless
you "hack" it. I was leery about using the Quickpwn software to
jailbreak my phone, but it turned out to be quite painless and gave me
some features that should be present by default (e.g. SBSettings).

I'm interested in the Android platform because of its openness. But
I'm not sure how developing for the system will compare to developing
for the iPhone.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/