[ale] Linux as a SCSI target.

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Mon Mar 23 08:59:34 EDT 2009

In the course of rebuilding my music making setup I purchased a ESI-32
sampler. I can't believe they used to go for $1500 new. The sampler has one
tremendous problem: no samples. It comes with a floppy (seriously?!) and a
Centronics 50 pin SCSI interface.

I rummaged around in the basement tech piles and located a double handful
of PCI SCSI cards. But apparently the SCSI drives and CDROMS were pitched
in the last tech recycling drive. Of course EBay has more drives. But
another thought came to mind: using a Linux box as a SCSI bridge to IDE
equipment.

Google led me to STGT: http://stgt.berlios.de/ and SCST:
http://scst.sourceforge.net projects. But either I'm not reading their docs
right or clarity on what I'm trying to do eludes me.

I'd like to drop a SCSI adapter into a Linux box along with an IDE hard
disk and CDROM. I then want to connect the Linux box to the sampler.
Finally I want to set up the Linux box so that it serves the IDE hard disk
and CDROM drives to the sampler as SCSI devices.

Now both projects above seem to have some of this functionality in terms of
mapping onboard devices to the "SCSI" bus. However, it seems that each are
targeted towards higher speed transports (iSCSI, Infiniband, etc.). Nothing
I could find indicates that I could drop an Adaptec 2940 on a bus and do
such a mapping. And the sampler has no facility to use any other transport.

Any ideas on how I could do this? It would actually be a better setup than
trying to transfer CDs or shifting cables on hard disks.

BAJ