[ale] "Too many open files" while opening a socket on Ubuntu

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Mar 5 13:08:30 EST 2009

Jerald Sheets wrote:
> I too have found that Ubuntu likes to think you have a dynamically
> assigned eth interface *regardless* of whether you've configured a
> static one.  It calls it "Auto eth 0" and refuses to lose track of it.
>
> In fact, you can delete the int completely, setup the int you want and
> on next boot it'll push your interface aside and set up it's own auto
> eth0 time and again.
>
> The upside is that I only boot once in a forever, so I deal with it.
> The Ubuntu forums have no idea what I'm talking about and several long-
> time users I know of Ubuntu have never seen anything like it.  It
> appears Heron related specifically, because another box installed as
> Ibex doesn't have the issue.  Anything upgraded into Heron of from
> Heron forward exhibits this behavior.  So, remember kids..  if you
> want a static interface, make sure you do everything you can to get it
> configured the way you want on installation or you may not be able to
> change it reliably at a later date.
>
> If anyone has seen and overcome this situation, it'd be wonderful to
> hear from you.  This single issue has made me want to go back to
> Debian or Slack for my desktop.

I just tried to switch my network interface to a static ip address and
had the same problem you described. There's a bug open about it on
launchpad. [0]

If you configure an interface by hand in /etc/network/interfaces
network-manager should ignore it.

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/303068

--
All the best,