[ale] iphone tether?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 07:57:42 EDT 2009

On Jun 30, 2009, at 7:38 AM, Mike Harrison wrote:

> My TomTom would like to be able to tether..

I'll be buying the TomTom software slated to come out here very soon.
Yes, I already have one, but why run around with more than one device?

> and on rare occaisions, I'd like to as well. do a little SSH, some web
> interfaces.. etc..

I use pSSH on iPhone to connect to my personal machines and in
conjunction with the VPN software, can connect to my office and do
anything I need to do there from my phone as well.

Not sure what you mean by "web interfaces".  I can do anything except
flash.

I was able to do a complete support session from right field at Turner
Field just a couple weeks ago, no problems at all.

> But I'm not needing to download an ISO or stream music..
> but if I needed a lot of MB.. tethered, I'd be willing to pay for it.
>
> It'd just be nice to be able to do it a LITTLE as part of the legal
> plan.

I hear you on the tethered plan limits.  However, even with the cards
for your system the caps are generally 5G/mo.  That will be the cap on
the iPhone tethering as well (according to rumor).

I as of yet have found nothing I need to do from remote that can't be
done from the iPhone.  There are a couple odd things like Fabric
Manager or Hobbit screens that have background colors that don't
format right for the mobile screen, but work just fine.

I predict the ability to do nearly anything in the near future all
from your iPhone.  As is the case with pretty much anything Mac, you
may need to change the way you view  how the job gets done.  The phone
was put together by a bunch of mac-heads who don't have a problem
implementing things in a slightly askance way of operation.

Do, however, check out pSSH.  It was the "killer app" I needed to be
able to justify buying the iPhone, and it has served me well in all
sorts of situations.

--j