[ale] OT: Cell phone signal blocker

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jun 22 15:22:43 EDT 2009

On 06/22/2009 12:11:02 PM, Vernard Martin wrote:
> ok, this is going to sound like I've been watching too
> many sci-fi
> movies but I want to obtain a device that can block cell
> phone reception
> in about a 10 to 20 yard radius. This is not for myself
> but for a friend
> of mine. He is one of those people that runs the Team
> Trivia events at a
> local sports bar. He is having a hard time with folks
> cheating by
> looking up the answers to trivia questions on their
> blackberries and
> such. He is hoping that he can block the signal they are
> using.

I have heard that there are such devices available
(Europe?), although not legal in the US (FCC regs). There
are also plans on the web (I think you can check through
Make magazine, but I'm not sure) for plans, should you
prefer to role your own. Actually making one and using it
is illegal, but knowing how to make one isn't.

IANAL, but I think Faraday Cage like technologies to
interrupt cell phone service remains legal, if not
portable. Otherwise, the FCC would need to regulate against
metal buildings 8-).

Another, possibly legal technology, would be to monitor the
control bands for cell phones during the events, which may
allow busting the cheaters. Pull the technology from the
Gnu Radio project, and I'll bet the technical people here
can whump something workable out. Nice thing about it would
be the noninterference with a radio communication.

As pointed out elsewhere, the low tech "Hands on the table
where I can see them" would be the most portable and least
expensive.