[ale] OT: Cell phone signal blocker

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Jun 22 13:21:16 EDT 2009

Vernard Martin wrote:
> ok, this is going to sound like I've been watching too many sci-fi
> movies but I want to obtain a device that can block cell phone reception
> in about a 10 to 20 yard radius. This is not for myself but for a friend
> of mine. He is one of those people that runs the Team Trivia events at a
> local sports bar. He is having a hard time with folks cheating by
> looking up the answers to trivia questions on their blackberries and
> such. He is hoping that he can block the signal they are using.

Tell your friend that I for one wouldn't want to hang out at his bar if
my phone isn't going to be working.  It would be too hard to coordinate
with friends who may be showing up.  It would also get interesting if
there was an emergency (I actually had to call 911 for an ambulance from
a bar Saturday night).

I can't even imagine how furious I would be if I couldn't get through,
the bar was blocking my signal, and the ambulance took longer to get there.

Pat