[ale] OT: DSLR recommendations

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Fri Jun 19 23:12:24 EDT 2009

I was a photographer before computers discovered me long ago...
I *highly* recommend the Nikon D40; anything any "better" is
at least twice the price.  Actually the 1/500s flash sync isn't
for freezing action (flash'll do that) - it's for balancing the
light between ambient & flash.  As far as I know there is no
other DSLR that syncs flash at 1/500 and the D40 is likely to
be replaced by Nikon before much longer.  Another plus for Nikon
is their dead-on flash/light exposure/balance; they're the best
I know of.  The D90 and D5000 are the new steps-up from the D40.

Buying:  Get it from a *photo* shop - they have the expertise
& support.  Price won't be much different than the electronics
places.  Recommended online places would be B&H, Adorama &
Ritz; Ritz now owns Wolf, so that might be a nice option for
you if you're in the Atlanta area.

-kc