[ale] Big laptop advice

rs at ale.spam.futz.org rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Fri Jun 5 17:40:11 EDT 2009

>Anyone ranting good things about anything?

I don't know about ranting... But I got a desktop replacement last summer..
I'm also a developer (and photographer), so screen size with one of the
biggest factors for me. I ended up with the ASUS G2, a 'gaming' latop. NewEgg
no long stocks it, but they now have a higher-end version:

1920x1200
quad-core (!! damn, wish I'd waited!)
2x320 GB hd
eSata
6 GB ram
hdmi out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220511

I'm running Fedora on my G2, with proprietary nVida drivers from the fusion
repository.  My only complaint is that suspend/resume has been touch and go.
Mostly go. It's working now, so I've stopped upgrading the kernel. :-)  Since
it is a desktop replacement, and I work at home, the sleep hasn't been a big
deal for me... It's almost always on, down in my office.  I do have to lug it
around once in a while, and it is big and heavy. Love the screen size and easy
access to fast external drives via eSata.

Robert

--
Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.