[ale] mass email for school and school web site

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Jun 2 08:54:08 EDT 2009

dhhoward at comcast.net wrote:
> My daughter's school wants to send 700+ (up to 1000) email blasts to
> parents (school newsletter, etc.), and we may be looking at a new web
> site (and could integrate the email blasts into the web site, or just
> blast summaries and put the whole thing on the web site, e.g.).  They've
> used Constant Contact, and another school uses Pommo.  Any suggestions?
> I personally don't want to manage a server and would worry that Comcast
> might block it from my home, e.g

We set something up like this for my daughter's high school marching
band.  Most providers will block that large a number of emails.  The way
we got around it was to create a mail list and subscribe all the parents
to that.  We are currently using a limited cms for the website, but I'm
trying to push them in a better direction, wordpress or some such.  I
don't have as much pull there now as I'm no longer on the executive
board and my daughter has graduated.

> Also, if anyone has done school web site development and would like to
> do some consulting with us, let me know off line.  Thanks to the work of
> my colleague William Fragakis, my gold standard is the Morris Brandon
> web site.

I like their new mascot. ;)

> Best, Daniel

Until later, Geoffrey