[ale] Fault Tolerant High Read Rate System Configuration

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 12:24:53 EDT 2009

multi-pci bus (not just multi pci _slot_) mobo with several add-on
SATA300 cards. Hang fast drives from each card matching the aggregate
drive throughput to the bandwidth of the pci bus slot. Make pairs of
drives on different cards be mirrors. Join all mirror pairs into a
stripped array for speed.

Use entire drive for each mirror slice so any failure is just a drive
replacement. Add extra cooling for the drives.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Greg Clifton<gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am working on a quote for a board of realtors customer who has ~ 6000
> people hitting his database, presumably daily per the info I pasted below.
> He wants fast reads and maximum up time, perhaps mirrored systems. So I
> though I would pick you smart guys brains for any suggestions as to the most
> reliable/economical means of achieving his goals. He is thinking in terms of
> some sort of mirror of iSCSI SAN systems.
>
> Currently we are only using 50G of drive space, I do not see going above
> 500G for many years to come. What we need to do is to maximize IO
> throughput, primarily read access (95% read, 5% write). We have over 6,000
> people continually accessing 1,132,829 Million (as of today) small (<1M)
> files.
>
> Tkx,
> Greg Clifton
> Sr. Sales Engineer