[ale] cheap health insurance

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Jul 9 08:21:27 EDT 2009

Bad example.

I worked for TEKsystems and they had god awful insurance at the time.
The policy essentially was capped at $5000 a year and that only for
hospital stays.   It was not a real HMO/PPO/Major Medical plan.   They
even told me it wasn't classified as health insurance the way other
plans were.   From what I gathered in complaining about it their view
was that their folks were contractors who didn't really want the
insurance.

I liked the people I worked with at TEKSystems and the ones that give
the talks at AUUG on occasion know their stuff but their insurance is a
joke.  Luckily for me I was able to maintain the insurance from my prior
job during my sojourn with them (albeit at a fairly high cost).   It was
this insurance that made me think of the job as "temporary" from the day
I took it even though I liked the company they'd placed me with and the
work I was doing there.   I'd likely not have taken it at all if it
hadn't been during the tech bust period in the earlier part of this
decade.