[ale] Microsoft tries to reverse Vista's Impact on the environment

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Wed Jul 8 19:16:31 EDT 2009

> Hmm. Kill-o-watt tester and default OS installs on the same hardware.
> Testing with basic user stuff like browse to same web site, open

Done it with meters much higher resolution and information than a
"kill-O-Watt".. An AccuEnergy II

I need to do it all again and publish the results, it works like this:

2ghz Laptop running WinXP and MSIE: Approx 55 watts

Boot into Ubuntu 8.04 w FireFox:   Approx 35-40 watts

Bottom line on my other laptops is.. if I boot Vista,
it gets hot and runs CPU fans. On Linux.. No fans.
Must be using a lot less CPU. :)