[ale] OpenOffice Draw for Site Maps?

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Jan 30 09:49:04 EST 2009

On Fri January 30 2009, Scott Castaline wrote:
> > how do you do 2 & 3 in linux.. my tax lady does Quickbooks..
>
> 1. You just admitted that you can do that in Ubuntu so that's one less
> fer winders.

right, I run thunderbird on windows/ubuntu on my laptop, so no matter what OS
I am in, it looks the same..

> 2. Not a perfect fix but check this out; http://www.linux.com/feature/41026
> Also have a look at this, it's for the Enterprise Edition, I would
> imagine that the lesser versions would eventually follow since M$ is
> trying to kick Intuit's A$$ with Magellan;
> http://about.intuit.com/about_intuit/press_room/press_release/2007/06-13.js
>p So possibly this may soon be one less reason to keep winders

The software starts as low as $3,000,
ah, NO.

> 3. xsane will scan to a PDF, there is an option to save directly to PDF.
> I have the HP Officejet Pro L7780 which uses the same drivers, at least
> for scanning. I'm not sure off hand what the CLI command is to do it
> though I remember running into it, just never really had a need for it.

I seem to recall fighting xsane before on this scanner, or maybe it was my
Epson Perfection I tried.. didn't work. Right now I have my workhorse Epson
R380 plugged into my Debian Desktop, shared so my wife can print docs from
her Vi$ta laptop. my HP5610 cable sits next to where I plug in my laptop when
I get home, so I can scan docs & print.. I kinda like that setup. Of course,
if I could hook the HP to Debian, and get printing AND scanning working, that
would be fine also. Nothing like trying to print something, the cartridge
goes empty, and yo have to shuffle things around to print something, while
you go online to order another cart:)

> 4. OOo's native world is Linux, so, bye bye winders.

I keep pushing this to people, but I've gotten bad reviews from some that the
formats don't translate well back & forth. Both spreadsheets & word DOCs
loose formatting when going back & forth from home to office.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800