[ale] Ubuntu help

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Jan 25 23:15:59 EST 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:14:58 -0500
James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/25 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>:
> > Officially speaking, Ubuntu's upgrading infrastructure only supports
> > upgrading from one release to the next immediate release...
>
> I call BS on that. Ubuntu is derivative of Debian. Unless they have
> royally screwed up apt, then editing the sources.list and doing
> `apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade` will upgrade any older
> version to any newer version.

You *can* do that.

However, they (Canonical and the Ubuntu release team) only guarantee a
consistent upgrade from one release to the next.

You can *also* point an Ubuntu system's sources.list right at Debian
and attempt a dist-upgrade.  I really wouldn't recommend it on a system
you wish to continue to use, though.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.