[ale] Seagate 500GB Sata-CRASH!

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sat Jan 17 12:00:06 EST 2009

On Sat January 17 2009, Adam Allred wrote:
> Try this:
>
> http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

I will, right now!

> I looks like they want you to see if you have an affected hard drive,
> and if so, call them up or e-mail them.
>
> Indeed, the part about free data recovery services has mysteriously
> disappeared.

no, read THIS:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/17/0115207&from=rss

Seagate Hard Drive Fiasco Grows
Posted by Soulskill on Friday January 16, @10:03PM
from the drowning-barracuda dept.
Data Storage Hardware
AnInkle writes "Two months after acknowledging that their flagship 1.5TB
Barracuda 7200.11s could hang while streaming video or during low-speed file
transfers, Seagate again faces a swell of complaints about more drives
failing just months after purchase. Again, The Tech Report pursued the matter
until they received a response acknowledging the bricking issue. Seagate says
they've isolated a 'potential firmware issue.' They say there's 'no data loss
associated with this issue, and the data still resides on the drive;'
however, 'the data on the hard drives may become inaccessible to the user
when the host system is powered on.' If users don't like the idea of an
expensive data-laden paperweight, Seagate is offering a firmware upgrade to
address the matter, as well as data recovery services if needed. By offering
free data recovery, Seagate seems to be trying to head off what could become
a PR nightmare that may affect several models under both the Seagate and
Maxtor brands."

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800