[ale] linking MS to E-waste

Atlanta Geek atlantageek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:00:32 EST 2009

I've been reading 'Hot Flat and Crowded' by Thomas Friedman and a
point was made that we should design for sustanibility. Appliances
should never go into the dump. Government policies should be such that
it makes more sense to refurbish and reuse rather than to just buy a
new appliance. (Maybe a huge sales tax on new goods)

Anyway I thought the same case could be made about PCs. How many old
PCs have been sent to the dump just because they got so loaded with
viruses the user just decided to get a new PC with the newer MS OS.
PCs seem to have a 3-4 year replace cycle which somewhat corresponds
to the release of OSes by Microsoft.

So what's your opinion. Anyone more articulate than me find this
remotely interesting.
--
http://www.atlantageek.com