[ale] OT: top-posting

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jan 7 13:55:01 EST 2009

George Carless wrote:
> I agree... and frankly (since flames were requested), I think it's
> fairly obnoxious to be sending people lengthy, and frankly
> non-scientific and dated, information to try to convince them of the
> error of their ways in this regard--it's the kind of attitude that gives
> us a reputation of being elitists who're far-removed from the real
> world.

Both methods have their merit

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-chat/2004-August/002565.html

The response from the SR was in response to an email where I told
him how I reply to emails.

In the office I typically top-post if I'm answering one question.  If
more, I answer inline under each question.

What had prompted this thread in our office was someone bottom-posting
on a lengthy reply.  Those that read this had to
scroll down and find his reply.  He should have snipped the
quoted text down a bit.

I think in the business world top-posting is customary and in
the engineering world bottom-posting is customary.  Maybe
because engineers have a tendency to analyze things and emails
can become long threads.