[ale] HP netbooks w/Linux

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 16:12:00 EST 2009

2009/2/20 Ken Ratliff <forsaken at targaryen.us>

> On Feb 20, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
>
> I was looking for Linux based netbooks when I ran across this:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-266243.html
> I find it a little disheartening and feel like it's a losing battle
> against the evil empire of M$. "Life as you know it will no longer
> exist, resistance is futile you will be assimilated" (STNG). And then I
> kind of half expect it as I do believe this is not the first time that
> HP has waffled on Linux support although it is just in certain markets
> and the US was not one of them. I also wouldn't put it past M$ to be a
> little underhanded in putting pressure on certain leading vendors.
>

> Microsoft has always been dicks about pressuring the hardware vendors, and
> HP has always been one of their pets. I was mildly surprised that they'd
> started offering Linux options at all. If the demand is there in the UK,
> though, they'll find a way to bring a linux based netbook to market, or
> they'll lose out to asus or dell, which I don't have much of a problem
> with.. only HP product I've ever cared about are their printers.

Are any of these companies making a profit having Linux as an option?  As an
enthusiast, with a business, I'd want Linux on all my products, but the
bottom line is "profit and losses."  Don't worry, we'll never die.  There
has been some good news about the increase of Linux sales.  Just listen to
the guys at Jupiter Broadcasting [dot com] - they rant on about it all the
time. :D

--
Marc F.

www.fergytech.com
Registered Linux User: #410978

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!" -Marc F.