[ale] HP netbooks w/Linux

Ken Ratliff forsaken at targaryen.us
Fri Feb 20 15:59:07 EST 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:

> I was looking for Linux based netbooks when I ran across this:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-266243.html
> I find it a little disheartening and feel like it's a losing battle
> against the evil empire of M$. "Life as you know it will no longer
> exist, resistance is futile you will be assimilated" (STNG). And
> then I
> kind of half expect it as I do believe this is not the first time that
> HP has waffled on Linux support although it is just in certain markets
> and the US was not one of them. I also wouldn't put it past M$ to be a
> little underhanded in putting pressure on certain leading vendors.

Microsoft has always been dicks about pressuring the hardware vendors,
and HP has always been one of their pets. I was mildly surprised that
they'd started offering Linux options at all. If the demand is there
in the UK, though, they'll find a way to bring a linux based netbook
to market, or they'll lose out to asus or dell, which I don't have
much of a problem with.. only HP product I've ever cared about are
their printers.