[ale] OT: Maglev funding?

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Feb 16 18:19:34 EST 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Atlanta Geek wrote:

> So I see how monorail helps a metro area but the original writer was
> discussing longer distance trains. Atlanta to Chattanooga trains. It
> sounds like Monorail does not make sense for this type of ride.

That is my impression also.

> My next question is does people movers that require large capital
> expenditures make sense. The existing/sucessful mass transit systems
> I've been on (NY, London, Washington DC) were built before the
> automobile.

As an example - try the BART system on the west coast. And before the melt
down of the economy, the new Lynx system here in Charlotte was exceeding
expectations. In terms of riders, it still is. Paying for the damn thing
however is causing some serious knicker fits and panties getting into
knots. (plus we have some undersized parking issues, etc)

> Could you not have the same affect with buses that run on HOV or bus
> only lanes today.

In theory, I'm sure you should be able to do so. In practice, I wonder. I
understand that LA has 15 mile bus only system on restricted right-of-way.
If I recall the web site I picked that tidbit up from correctly, that
choice was a political choice, and that light rail was expected to be less
expensive.

Of course, the final answer is a true need for both: rail and bus.

> Do you think a business class bus running between Atlanta and
> Chattanooga would be successful.  If a bus market does not exist how
> could you argue that a market exists for the more expensive trains.

To address the specific question, the last long distance bus (other than
tour bus) that I rode was smaller than an equivilent capacity rail
car. Busses can make use of current infrastructure, but seem to have a
higher accident rate and higher energy costs.

In a limited sort of way, this thread harks back to the one I asked a few
weeks ago. From Jim Kinney (sp??) comments, rail lines can be run off
solar power using only the right of way. I don't think current technology
can run a bus service the same way. I think we can almost forget about SUV
people movers being solar power anytime soon. In addition, rail has a
people moving capacity some 4 or 5 times that of the car per lane, with
the added advantage sometimes of  being able to go above ground or below
grade (but really expensive). Plus the ability to carry food and
facilities on heavy rail between cities can help move things along. What
the people moving capacity of buses is
on a per lane basis I don't know, but I don't think it is quite as high as
rail, although higher than automobile.  In defense of the bus idea,
however, I will point out that bus lines can  be rerouted quickly and
easily using the road net.

Off the top of somebody's head, what is the current driving time range
between Chattanooga and Atlanta? Obviously it makes a difference as to
rush hour etc, but what is the range? </random question>

Since I'm not going to Tennesee soon, what I'd kind of like to see would
be a rail connection between Charlotte and Atlanta, including air ports at
each end, with about a 5 hour transit time. Faster would be nicer of
course, but you can work somewhat on a train, but not while you drive. I'm
not sure that bus would be either as comfortable or fast for such a run.
Plus rail travel may be delayed, but there are few historical cases when
it gets stopped cold due to weather. I'd hate to get on a bus in the south
during icy conditions - the driver may be good enough, but the other
people on the road are not.

All of the above is moot in many senses, since the congress critters and
washington geniuses are going to do what gets them the votes and or money.
What is actually needed isn't even on their radar.