[ale] Really slow copy

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 16 15:06:00 EST 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009 1:36 pm, David Tomaschik wrote:
> CPU time probably has very little to do with this.  I've never seen a
> CPU-limited straight up copy.  Rsync perhaps, but never a plain old
> copy.  My guess is some sort of slowness in the file manager, but even
> that may be a stretch.  What were the initial transfer rates like?  How
> long were they sustained?  My guess is maybe a drive is slower than you
> thought.  Have you tried benchmarking both the source and destination
> with hdparm?

Thanks David & JT.

Yes, Dolphin was the problem. Doing a cp now and got 4GB thru in a few
minutes -- using very little CPU.

For the record, the laptop drive reads at about 28MB/sec while the server's at
about 88MB/sec -- which sounds pretty good to me.

--
The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that
is what each of us is here for.