[ale] Really slow copy

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Mon Feb 16 13:36:53 EST 2009

Tim Watts wrote:
> I don't understand where the bottleneck is. Why is it getting so little CPU
> time? Why has its share dropped so much and never resumed? I don't think
> there's a lot of local network noise but I don't know how to measure that. I
> seem to get good responsiveness from the laptop.
>
> Would I be better off killing the current process and starting over with just
> plain old cp? I've already invested about 18 hours in this thing and don't
> have much to show.
>
> Open to suggestions.
>
> Thanks.

CPU time probably has very little to do with this.  I've never seen a
CPU-limited straight up copy.  Rsync perhaps, but never a plain old
copy.  My guess is some sort of slowness in the file manager, but even
that may be a stretch.  What were the initial transfer rates like?  How
long were they sustained?  My guess is maybe a drive is slower than you
thought.  Have you tried benchmarking both the source and destination
with hdparm?

David