[ale] kmail 4.2 vs thunderbird [was Re: editors, was ... Re: Job listing]

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 5 17:57:01 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 10:05 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I'd actually like to hear a conversation of kmail 4.2 vs recent
> thunderbird releases.
>
> I've dipped my toes into both in the last year.  kmail just yesterday.
>
> My first impression of both compared to using the gmail online interface:
>
> Thunderbird via gmail's imap interface:  a step backword compared to
> online.  I dropped it after just an hour or two of use.
>
> Kmail 4.2 via gmail's imap interface:  Looks much more promising.  My
> tests yesterday involved the normal imap online interface.  The
> functionality seemed reasonable, but it was slow if I left my desktop
> for a couple hours.  When I came back a resync seemed to occur and I
> could not do much for several minutes.
>
> I'm going to try kmail 4.2 in imap "disconnected" mode today or
> tomorrow.  I suspect it will be the best of the above.
>
> Greg

YMMV, but I had major problems trying to use IMAP with Kontact under KDE
4.2 beta. The account settings are stored by Akonadi and it is still
very buggy. I was forced to enter passwords over and over again. And on
two occasions, it simply lost all of my IMAP settings and I had to enter
them again. There are several bugs open on this in KDE's bugs.kde.org,