[ale] Ironkey... was editors

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:26:18 EST 2009

CR-123a Batteries ... for the unix (specific tool for each task)
version of flashlights: www.surefire.com/flashlights

Anyway- so this isn't a flashlight ad, I'll pitch another widget:

I got a free 'Ironkey' (ironkey.com) a couple of months ago- its a USB
stick, fully sealed all metal waterproof enclosure (NO plastic, which
was a BIG draw in itsself). It is a thumbdrive with hardware
encryption built in. Supports linus out of the box. In side all the
chips are encased in epoxy so you can't open it, and its supposed to
physically selfdestruct (fpga goes poof?) if you miss-guess the pin
more than 10 times to prevent brute-force.

Comes with its own userspace driver- so it mounts first as a CD on
whichever OS, then you login and it unlocks the encrypted volume which
then mounts normally. On windows it comes with various fancy tools for
your passwords and safe-browsing, etc...

Anyway- now if I loose my keys I'm back to just loosing my keys and
not whatever data I keep on hand at all time (ie the important stuff)

I don't have my hard drive encrypted, but rather have a few individual
files and tarballs encrypted with GPG, plus the stuff on this stick.

-George

On 2/5/09, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> <GONG!!> Both are OT posts. The flame war is nano-vs-pico
>
> who uses what and why or why not
>
> those luser vi-vs-emacs dweebs are so 1990's...
>
> Or how about:
> mutt vs pine
> epiphany vs konqueror
> fvwm vs twm
> puppy linux vs tiny sofa
> pulseaudio vs arts
> c-cell vs d-cell batteries
> tastes great vs less filling
>
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
>> ...so long as it is vim rather than nvi.
>>
>> Emacs is an anagram of maces so I predict we'll shortly be clubbed by
>> those who are still silly enough to believe emacs is a good editor.  :p

Sent from my mobile device