[ale] Boxee unveils beta, stand-alone box made by D-Link

adam prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 23:07:31 EST 2009

Benjie.godfrey wrote:
> Yes, it runs linux, and no, it doesn't work with Netflix yet. But that
> is one of their targets before the device is released. And no, Hulu
> doesn't work yet either, but that is for Hulu's parent companies'
> strange, *we don't quite understand the interwebs* ancient business
> reasons

As I have read, the reason Netflix and Linux aren't mixing is
Silverlight, and specifically, the DRM features it provides. This
technology must be licensed for use from MS, which is why the Roku
(which runs Linux) works: they paid for the license to make it work.

Boxee admins have said repeatedly on their forums that they can not
support Netflix for Linux until Netflix supports it themselves. Boxee
can aim to have Netflix support...but unless they want to pony up the
dough to MS and Netflix, there's nothing they can do, and I think they
should communicate _that_ message to their users, rather than offer what
I feel is a false hope.

Netflix has to see that a Linux client is cost-effective, that they will
get ROI, before progress can be made.