[ale] [OT] Psychology of Denial about Climate Change

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 10 21:33:39 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 09:58 -0500, Doug McNash wrote:
> The sky is falling, the sky is falling....
>
> I thought the consensus is that we are heading towards an ice age.

Nope. There has never been consensus around this. A flurry of articles
in the popular press in the '70s, and a few scholarly papers which have
been refuted. That's it.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/01/the-global-cooling-myth/

This sort of reaction [which neatly ties in with the article the OP
linked] reminds me of the ozone hole "controversy" of the '80s and '90s.
Here again, half the popular culture portrayed the whole thing variously
as a dubious conjecture or an alarmist theory and often repeated the
defeatist's mantras of "So? there's nothing we can do about it anyway",
"It's too complex to know if we're the cause" and "Just buy a lot of
spf30". Of course, the business community warned of global economic
collapse if we tried to fix it. And, not surprisingly, they found a few
scientists to "prove" there was nothing to worry about. But we made the
decision to get rid of CFCs (mostly). The world economy didn't cave
because of it; and the ozone hole is indeed slowly closing. Did we avert
a crisis? No one can say for sure. But what we can say with certainty is
that we averted a global ozone depletion experiment: through scientific
inquiry we knew what the ozone levels typically should be, that we were
causing the changes, and we decided *not* to find out what would happen
if we really f*cked with them.

Notably, the "controversy" did not exist in the scientific community but
rather was birthed by the business community. This wasn't an example of
"group think" in the scientific community. It was an example of
scientific rigor meets economic power players.

The climate change "controversy" is just another example of history
repeating itself.