[ale] [OT] Psychology of Denial about Climate Change

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Thu Dec 10 16:10:24 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> William,
>
> Very well put. It is a choice of risking really, terrifying times vs
> expending huge amounts of resources in both cash and human effort.
>
> Can we as a species afford to become locked in a truly global conflict
> because of water? It's currently underway in many parts of the world. The
> tri-state water wars surrounding Atlanta pale in comparison to what is about
> to happen in Israel/Palestine as the only water supply for Palestine is
> draining faster than it can refill ...

Water is where the scariness is really at.  If you want to talk about
serious water problems, look at the Ogallala aquifer in the western
US, and the alarming rates of aquifer depletion in India and China.*
Even ignoring the drinking water problems, those could cause huge food
shortages in the next couple of decades if we don't change our farming
(and eating) habits.

*  http://www.eoearth.org/article/Aquifer_depletion

--
Björn Gustafsson