[ale] Mini pci card in laptops: compatibility?

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Tue Dec 1 10:53:47 EST 2009

Brian Pitts wrote:
> These are standard hardware, I think they're cheap in bulk on ebay.
> However, some BIOSes disable the card if it isn't the right brand. Evil,
> I know.

Very. I did find a source for some new Intel 2200BG versions at about $23...

> We have some of these cards floating around Free IT Athens if you'd like
> to drop by and try one.

...which reminded me I had some other laptops that had 2200BG cards in
them! Popped one out, put it in, added the drivers, and voila!

Thanks, though. I may yet take you up on it if we can't get enough of
the 2200BGs, just to make sure what will be compatible.

Thanks,
David