[ale] Clear Wimax

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Wed Aug 26 01:57:50 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 21:06 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> I think there was an ALE discussion this week or last week about how
> the
> mobile USB modems weren't linux friendly. THe only thing that occurs
> me to try is running a windows virtual machine in your hypervisor of
> choice, configuring the hypervisor to give the windows VM direct
> access
> to the USB modem, and doing some iptables magic to redirect your
> network
> connection through the VM.

I had tried to get a Clear WiMax USB dongle to work using that approach
(I booted an LVM snapshot of my TurboTax VM to try it.  I was able to
get it to see the dongle and talk to it, but I was never able to
establish a connection with it; it never found a signal.  I am going to
guess that there isn't a good signal here; I barely sometimes get a cell
signal in this portion of the building.

	--- Mike