[ale] Clear Wimax

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 21:08:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Mark Wright <m.perry.wright at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just signed up for Clearwire wimax.  I thought the mobile usb modem would
> work with Linux but so far no joy.  The home box doesn't care what is hooked
> to it but the mobile USB is a different story.  Anyone have any suggestions
> on where to start.  Crossover puked on trying to install the windows divers
> and control app.  I'm running about 0 for 0 trying to get unsupported apps
> working on Crossover.  This should be able to work without playing windows
> games with it.  I have read that Wimax modem drivers have been in the Kernel
> for while now.

Depends on who makes the chips.  The company behind the USB device in this
case is Beceem, and they aren't being very cooperative with developers,
after all, the device still only has BETA drivers for Mac.

The devices which have the best support are the Intel devices.  Most of
those are mini-PCI (targeting netbooks, appliances).  There are reportedly
devices that takes USB and allow you to plug in the mini-PCI cards.  Right
now this seems the most likely route, unless Intel is working on a USB
device themselves.

Third party is allowed on the Clear network, you just have to have your MAC
address associated with a Clear account.

Don't count on the device you bought with the service to work with Linux.
Maybe in the end, but I wouldn't expect support in any way before the end of
the year.

Brian
(who has home and mobile as well)