[ale] [Fwd: Microsoft can't sell `Word' in US]

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Thu Aug 13 13:09:19 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:06, aaron<aaron at pd.org> wrote:
>>
>> While I'm an Open Source advocate who _DOES_ see the big picture,
>> in this particular case I'm still going to take some gloating
>> satisfaction in the justice of it.
>
> Who looses in this?  Microsoft?  hardly.   You wait and see... some
> small business will soon be on CNN/CNBC claiming that stupid patent
> enforcement laws prevented them from using/upgrading/securing MS Word
> and that MS Word should never be encumbered again by threat of patents
> (because after all M$ has a recent history of saying that they
> wouldn't go after some obscure OS's user base....).

What I hope is that they _don't_ overcome it.  I hope the patent that was
enforced here is not licensed reasonably, and takes full advantage of its
rights under the current patent system.  This will only serve to show how
ludicris this whole bloody thing is.

Imagine, if one laughable patent can cause Microsoft to become compelled
to stop selling Microsoft Word, what would happen if all of the other
likely lurking patents they infringe on began enforcement proceedings
against them?

This is the time for patent trolls to kick up their activity and go after
the deep pockets.  They'll make their money, and soon enough, they'll
serve no further purpose.  This will only set the stage for SCOTUS to rule
most excellently on the pending case before them.

 	--- Mike