[ale] Record audio when there is audio

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Apr 24 12:45:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 20:38 -0400, David Lemcoe wrote:
> Atlanta Radio Club? I love that repeater with the IRLP and such. Well,
> what you're ending up doing is interfacing your radio to your
> computer. I could've sworn there was some program (can't think of it)
> that also does CW, and it had the ability to record when "keyed".
> Oooo. I will look for the program.

I just plugged a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male audio cable from my FT-2800M
speaker jack to a C-Media USB Sound interface.

> Also, ARC is non-busy? Really?

The repeater is operational 24*7*52.  People work and sleep so there are
times it is dead quiet.  No need in recording during those times.  You
end up wasting disk and you have much silence in the audio file.  I'm do
not really care about time stamp because when you record only when there
is a certain audio level on the mic-in jack you lose all sense of
time.

I started Audacity about 9:30 and just exported a snippet of what people
have been complaining about.  Audacity had recorded a total of 40
minutes of audio and some people were meeting for lunch.  That accounted
for much of the traffic.

The only downside to the Audacity method is that I can't muck with the
captured audio until I hit the stop recording button.