[ale] Linux apparently illegal in MA

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Wed Apr 22 19:28:57 EDT 2009

1. The reason for the police interest likely was suspicion of a
   "hate crime" against a gay person.  (I don't know what this week's
   definition is in MA.)

2. Data encryption has become popular to hide evidence of crime,
   especially among those handling child pornography.

3. Those who assume that anyone objecting to groundless searches
   or making encryption illegal may want to read the Constitution's
   4th amendment, which reads exactly as:

     The right of the peole to be secure in their persons, houses,
     papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures,
     shall not be violated and no Warrants shall issue, but upon
     probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly
     describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things
     to be seized.

4. Think you're law abiding?  You are not if any of the following:

   1. You loaned you car to your teenager or your brother in law and he
      or she left drugs in the car and a legal search is conducted.

   2. You have handcuffs to "spice" up your personal life.  That is
      considered part of a "rape kit" and is illegal in Georgia and
      elsewhere.

   3. Your brother-in-law gives a beer to your teenager in your house.

   4. Any of a gazillian other scenarios.

5. Today the Supreme Court upheld the 4th Amendment by decided that
   police no longer can search one's car after they'be been arrested
   and handcuffed (without a warrent).

6. The police can search your "person and your immediate area" to
   allegedly look for a weapon (gun or knife) you might lunge for
   to hurt them.  This is the excuse for many searches.

   They may NOT search areas not immediately accessable, such as a
   locked trunk without a search warrant or probable cause.  Hint, hint.

7. If you have concerns about a search or may be arrested, leave your
   concerns in your car, get out and lock the door behind you and step
   away from your door.  REFUSE TO UNLOCK THE DOOR.  This is NOT
   resisting arrest.  The officer may not enter the vehicle without a
   warrant.  If he breaks the window,  your claim that you did not
   give consent to a search will be very strong.

8. Never, ever give consent to a police officer requesting to search
   your vehicle.  In Georgia they often will ask.  If you say "yes",
   then anything they find of an illegal nature will get you in jail.
   They will threaten to use dogs otherwise that will rip up your car.
   It's an empty bluff, especially if the car is locked!  That search
   warrant problem again.

9. If the police show up at your front door 'cause your party is "too
   loud", do NOT let 'em in.  You don't know what drugs your guests
   have.

   Instead, lock the front door, send a sober guest who does not live
   there out the back door to go around outside to the front door to
   talk with them.  The guest can relay the request to quiet down.

   The guest will politely refuse the cops' request to "come in side
   and look around", explaining that since he does not live there he
   does not have the authority to do so.

10. Have a look at:

    FlexYourRights.org

    to learn more.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.

them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
-- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... by Bob