[ale] Basic Laptop for presentations question

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Apr 15 14:58:33 EDT 2009

James Taylor wrote:
> I pretty much live in konqueror (for everything but a
> browser...imagine that), and I cannot configure the kde4 konqueror
> even remotely close to how I have it configured with kde3. Also, I
> use the  search box in the menu a lot, and that isn't in option in
> the new menu, even with the plasma app they provide. I also am a big
> right click user, and as far as I can tell, there is no right click
> functionality on the desktop.
>
> I am a believer in progress when it makes sense, but the way they
> went about implementing kde4 was to make it a new desktop, with no
> real path to move to the new functionality  that was useful while
> retaining the functionality in kde3 that I use constantly.

First rule of software development, NEVER take away functionality,
unless you replace it with something better.

Second rule of software development, some user is going to think your
'something better' isn't.

> If I could configure kde4 to work like kde3 while I worked out what
> was useful to me in kde4 and was able to use what I found good in the
> new and the old, I would be OK with it.
>
> kde4 reminds of a lot of things I don't like about gnome (not
> starting a war here, honest). From my perspective, it is not
> configurable enough, is too "icon-y", and requires to many clicks or
> keystrokes to do what I want to do.

Personally, between KDE and GNOME, I'll take GNOME.  In reality, I run
Enlightenment 17 on all my desktops.

> As far as I am concerned, kde4 is not an evolution of kde, it is an
> entirely different desktop.

Agreed, and I don't care for it.

--
Until later, Geoffrey