[ale] Grrr Nvidia

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 14 19:53:25 EDT 2009

James Taylor wrote:
> It must be desktop related.
> I'm running the 180 drivers on several 64 bit machines running openSUSE 11 and 11.1 with KDE 3.5.10 without any problems that I've noticed.
> The one notebook running the latest ATI driver is a whole 'nuther story....
> -jt

KDE 4 has some known issues with nVidia drivers as well. One of the
pages on techbase advised playing with this:

/usr/bin/nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1

The InitialPixmapPlacement can be varied to 1, 2 or 3 to see if there is
a difference in behavior. It did lead to some improvements for me. YMMV