[ale] Grrr Nvidia

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Apr 14 19:06:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:07:29 -0400
Robert Coggins <ale at cogginsnet.com> wrote:

> So, I am running Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit.  I tried the 180 nvidia beta a
> while back and it worked fairly well, with the exception of my screen
> randomly blacking out(X dying).  I recently got a notification that
> 180 was out of beta so I thought I would give it another try.
> Several days into using it has been great.  Well a few minutes ago X
> died again and I lost all my work.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?  Is there a resolution for it? a config
> setting or something?

I have issues with my NVIDIA drivers on 64-bit, but also on 32-bit.
Has been an issue with every driver save for one in the past year or
so... I think that the chipset is just pppffft.

There are two manifestations:

 * Total screen corruption, but the box still responds to SSH, and
 * Zero screen corruption, but everything stops and system load goes
   through the roof; no SSH possible, and massive issues trying to do
   anything.  Generally requires pressing RESET on the case.

Also, at least in the first instance, the card must be re-POSTed before
it works again.  kexec and reloading that way fails.

	--- Mike