[ale] [OT] Unlocked GSM phone

Adam Allred prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 10:00:13 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:21 AM, <rs at ale.spam.futz.org> wrote:

> >Adam wrote:
> >> I have a really old AT&T Blue wireless SIM that is on a really old voice
> >> plan that I don't want to change, because it's alot cheaper than what
> >> AT&T offers now.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, my Nokia 3200B finally ate it, and I'm in the market for
> >> an unlocked GSM phone I can drop my SIM in.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any experience with unlocked cell phone purchasing that
> >> could recommend a seller? I have no need for any bells and whistles. I'd
> >> like the cheapest, simplest phone that can send and receive calls.
> >
> >In the past, I have purchased one of the 'pay as you go' phones and
> >simply swapped the sim cards.  Just make sure you purchase a phone that
> >is on an AT&T plan, I think they are called the 'go' phone.
>
> I did exactly this about a year ago.. $19.99 at Sam's. I recently jumped
> ship
> to T-mobile to get a G1, so I've got the go phone sitting on a shelf. $5 if
> you want it, and can come pick it up. I'm in Tucker (NE Atlanta, not far
> from
> 85/285).

As it turns out, my girlfriend had an older cingular phone that was no
longer on any plan, and had been collecting dust for a year in a closet.

A quick google query led to a set of magical voodoo strings that opened up
the menu that AT&T doesn't want you to see, one of them being the network
lock. Once I disabled that, it was smooth sailing.

Now, all I have to do is wait for men in black from AT&T to abduct me and
take me to Gitmo for breaking contract on my service that has no contract...