[ale] Anyone looking for a new gig?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:02:09 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> >

> > Just so everyone is aware: C# is not a linux skill. Neither is .NET or
> > SQL-server.
> >
> I do embedded type stuff now.  I'm a believer that a good embedded platform
> matches up with a good server platform.  Both platforms we run obviously
> are Linux based.   Our customers are clueless about Linux but we've
> fixed that by creating web interfaces to configure the server.  We
> don't even give them CLI login and passwords.  The reason we run
> Linux on the server are many but one good one is support.  It is much
> easier
> for our support individuals connect to these servers and help customers.
> We also have  reporting system that allows these boxes to communicate
> back home.  While all this is possible in Windows, it would have been a
> much bigger investment writing solutions for Windows to mimic the
> functionality we have today.

I can't  find the link but to replicate in windows what ships by default
with ANY Linux distro would retail near $50k.
That doesn't account for bulk license and other TCO issues like ongoing
support, virus, etc. I can't imagine starting a new project with the phrase
"We have Windows and some new hardware."  :-)

> Our software is web based so there is no reason to run it on Windows.
> Apache
> and tomcat do just fine on Linux.
> >
> > --
> > --