[ale] Ubuntu 7.10 -> 8.04

Kenneth Price neth.price at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:52:49 EDT 2008

It all comes down to your comfort level with the distribution.  Because of
Ubuntu's ease of use, a lot of entry-level linux folks are using it.  As a
result, if something doesn't work exactly as expected, they freak out and
bash the distro.  They need step-by-step instructions on their exact distro
version else they can't use it.  If you are an experience linux admin, or
experienced user, there are few issues that will arise which you can't find
solutions for by Google'ing a bit.

If you want to truly know your risks, Google for 8.04 issues with your exact
hardware since most Ubuntu show stoppers revolve around hardware
compatiblity.  My HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop, for example, requires I use the
"Alternate" install CD in order for the graphics and sound card to be
handled correctly.  Post-install, the only problem I have is the use of the
multi-port flash reader-thingy.  Uh, or "non-use" as it is, but I haven't
played with it since 8.04.1 came out.

Later,
Ken Price