[ale] off the shelf NAS for school with Linux, Mac and Windoz PCs

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 17:29:52 EDT 2008

The APS schools that LNS set up initially as thin client pilot schools
already have a purpose built NAS machine. Just need to have a guru-geek
actually make the connections happen. No need for more hardware to solve a
simple configuration issue. The _political_ issue of a Linux-based single
sign-on environment, however, is beyond the comprehension of anyone. Good
luck!

Keep in mind the ultimate goal is not "how do we do X?" but "How do we do X
now and forever with no training or support or technical skills while still
accomodating a changing environment we can't really pin down all the
parameters for".

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Daniel Howard <dhhoward at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for an off the shelf NAS device with gigabit Ethernet
> interface and embedded Linux/Samba that can be seen by all three OS's
> and found this 500 GB box from Buffalo at $158 from Newegg that
> apparently would do the trick:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165076
>
> Does anyone have any experience with off the shelf NAS units?  Goal is
> to make integration with all three types of platforms as seamless as
> possible in a school and allow files generated in any of three computer
> labs (one with Windows XP, one with iMacs, and one with Centos thin
> clients) to be easily transferred between the three labs and the
> classroom PCs.  And cheap and easy for school IT folks to set up, of
> course...
>
> Best,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel Howard
> President and CEO
> Georgia Open Source Education Foundation

James P. Kinney III