[ale] significance of -> 802.11/a/b/g connectivity

Stephen Benjamin skbenja at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:27:28 EDT 2008

In terms of Linux support, 802.11b is supported wonderfully for most (all?)
cards nowadays.  g and a support is more experimental, and the bulk of your
problems are going to come from the newer stuff.  My Cisco Aeronet PCMCIA
card still works better range-wise than any other card I've ever had.

Although, modern distros I guess are better about doing stuff for you.  I
only recently upgraded to g, and I ended up putting Ubuntu on my laptop (had
Gentoo before).  802.11g worked out of the box as did most everything
else...installing gentoo was a 4-day project of compiling/patching/etc.