[ale] 802.11/a/b/g, thanx 2 all, but what do you recommend & why ?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Sep 2 14:02:09 EDT 2008

Depends on what you doing, really.  If you're setting something up for home,
I'd say just get hardware that supports them all and use whatever works---the
software will figure it out all on its own.

I have a WiFi a/b/g router, and my laptop has an a/b/g interface on it.  On
the router, nothing is disabled, and the laptop just connects to it and works
just fine.  I presume that the laptop switches modes automatically if
necessary, I have never had to try to figure that out---it just works.  (Gotta
say, WiFi has come a long way since the days of treating WiFi cards as just
Ethernet with weird extensions to them, and NetworkManager really does help,
though I do wish it were a little bit better than it is; it'd be a great help
if NetworkManager wasn't simply tied to the UI and supported being controlled
by command line utilities directly.)

  --- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.