[ale] Accessing an MP3 player from Linux

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 08:50:50 EDT 2008

I have found most mp3 players can be seen as just a usb thumb drive. Then I
can drop song files into the folder usually labeled music and it just
works.

BTW: found a nice little player at Microcenter. 1GB styled like the ipod
shuffle for a whopping $15. The 4G model is only $30. Both can also record
using a built-in microphone.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Tim Watts <timtw at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've inherited an MP3 player and I'd like to be able to interact with it
> from
> my SuSE 10.2 laptop. It's a ZEN Vision:M from Creative. It has a USB
> interface. Of course, the CD that comes with it has this clunky Windows
> software as the only means of interacting with it.
>
> Basically, I'd like to edit the playlists and use it as a source for
> playing
> MP3s thru my laptop. So either mounting it as a device and/or finding some
> software to allow me to interact with it is what I'm looking for. Nothing
> included on the SuSE distro that I can see.
>
> Tried connecting to it via Amarok to no avail but it wanted a
> pre-configured
> device to start with. Not sure how to bring that about.
>
> I know I could probably do some vmware thing to boot windows but that's a
> hell
> of a lot of software to load just to listen to music.
>
> Anyone else deal with this or something similar?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
> human
> race.
>  -- H. G. Wells
> __O