[ale] attempt to access beyond end of device

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Oct 20 18:05:53 EDT 2008

Chris Fowler wrote:
> This is weird.  It is labeled as 2.0GB and has a 2.0GB partition but
> Linux sees it as 1GB.

I remember reading about "counterfeit" flash drives that were formatted
from the factory in such a way that they appeared to be larger than they
actually were.  Since FAT uses the beginning of the disk first, most
people don't notice until it is too late.

> Could it be a limitation in my USB reader?

That is always another possibility.  I don't have any pre-sdhc readers,
except my phone.  I am pretty sure my phone just completely fails to
read an SDHC card.  If SDHC did happen to have a fallback mode I would
expect it to be 2 gig (the limit for SD).

Pat